Wednesday, May 10, 2006

“you had your way... I'll handle this my way”


Someone entering another’s premises without permission, allowed or not allowed? Obviously it is not allowed. The constitution of the Maldives strongly bans such an evil act. In fact there is strict punishment for such behaviour. But what if a police officer gets into a house without its owner’s permission? Except for very extreme cases, even the police officers need to have prior permission of the premises' owners before they enter the premises. For some people this might be an exceptional case, for me certainly not!

Well here is what im talking about; yesterday I read an article in Haveeru daily about an angry father who beat up a police officer who attempted to have s*x with her daughter in her own house, during mid-night hours. According to the news article in Haveeeru, the police guy was caught red-handed while he was trying to remove the clothing of the girl while she was asleep. Ouch! Guess what would have happened if she was your daughter and it was your house where there was an intruder? The girl’s father simply could not tolerate this, so he beat the guy up with a spanner! His right limb was fractured and he’s now in hospital for treatment. Fair enough?

This isn’t the end of the story. Now what happens to the man who beat the police officer? Will he be charged? But before we talk about what will happen to him, let’s go where this started. The police officer entered the house without the house owner’s permission! So at the beginning, he has done wrong. This is a serious offence. And this is the actual cause of the problem here. But the statement released by Maldives Police Services today stated that, “following our investigation, necessary administrative actions will be taken if he is found guilty, and his case will be passed to court for further consideration.” This statement simply doesn’t make sense for me. He was beaten up while he was inside someone’s premises without the owner’s permission, so the case should be passed for a judgement by the court, without any further investigations by the police. This makes it questionable about how this case would end up. Whether we accept it or not, I can forecast that the girl's farther will be prosecuted, for beating up the policeman and nothing will be done for the policeman.

But this is something serious. Police officers are the people who are appointed to protect us. They are the ones who should look after the citizens when they are asleep. They are the ones who should catch the people who enter the houses without permission. But now the situation sounds entirely different for me. It seems as if we need a new group of people to take care of these so-called policemen who try to intrude houses whatever the reason might be. I hope we learnt a lesson from this. Perhaps its time for me to ask you to comment on this. But before i conclude I would say that the man’s decision was wise in my point of view. Perhaps he said to the policeman, “you had your way... I'll handle this my way”

5 comments:

s[u]jau said...

Your openions r quite good n acceptable. But dont you think that even Policemen are human like me and u... they too have heart n it has feelings... I m sure this wudnt be such a serious issue if this was done by a normal guy.. The question is, did he do that in the police uniform or not? If he was in police uniform that shud be a very serious matter..? Did he really attempted Sex???... Even if he didnt, that was just the personal life of him... the so called love life of him and that gal... i m very sorry to say that publishing the entire story on haveeru n your blog u did a wrong thing... your r just stepping sumone's right... You know that rapping, illegal sex, and other socially unwanted behaviour is just becoming common n visible in Maldives...

When a police men did, A great Issue, Is it Fair???

What u say??

Haxon said...

Thanx for the comments..But, whether its me or u who do it, crimes are crimes...and when a polic offcier does something, he has done two crimes together...I didnt talk his sex attemt as a big issue...my issu was him entering a house w/out the permission of the owner...whether hes in unform or not id doesnt really matter...Im sure i respect a policeman as policeman even if hes not in a uniform,...so the same applies when he does a crime...Yet again those are my thoughts...I dun belive that i have stepped on someone's rights...

Anonymous said...

Wat u have said is rite..A police officer does double crimes when he doens such an offence..He disobeyed his police duty and he eaterd a house...u are rite

foniboki said...

I agree with Crazy. I heard Haveeru published the story in the wrog way. The policeboy belongs to my island and it is a boyfriend of one of my friend. I think he entered the house not as a police but as a boy like us, with the permission (maybe not the house owner's). Its is a matter between that policeboy and that girl and the girls father is opposite to their relation. Maybe the policeboy is wrong, but in my opinion the house owner is wrong. The story in Haveeru showed only one side and that is totally their personal issue.

Haxon said...

You are very true...I do agree with you...The girls father might have done that because of frustration of the governments policy in dealing with such issues...I hope u get wat I mean..And My views in this blog is not 2 blame someone, I did just for the sake of our concern abt such issues in our society!